Recently there have been several significant developments regarding legislation intended to overhaul the national security review process conducted by the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS) with respect to foreign direct investment into the United States.
June 18, 2018, the US Senate passed its version of the Foreign Investment Risk Review Modernization Act (FIRRMA), which is legislation designed to reform and modernize the CFIUS process to better address evolving national security threats.
June 26, 2018, the US House of Representatives passed its version of FIRRMA.
June 27, 2018, President Trump announced that he intends to rely on FIRRMA to address the investment-related technology-theft issues identified earlier this year by the US Trade Representative's Section 301 investigation into China.
Aug 13, 2018, President Trump has signed off the NDAA, which means that FIRRMA has officially become law.
With the intention towards Chinese investment-related technology-theft issues, the legislation of FIRRMA will surely have a huge impact on Chinese investment to the US and MNCs who traditionally cooperates with Chinese companies.
Therefore, the AmCham China Outbound Investment Forum invites you to this upcoming briefing event on CFIUS Update. The event emphasizes on:
- What is the reality of FIRRMA and its impact on CFIUS filing process?
- What types of 'covered transactions' that FIRRMA expands CFIUS to review?
- What types of transactions would concern "National Security" and "technology-theft" issue?
- What is the FIRRMA's new "declaration" process? What kind of transactions could receive approval on an expedited basis following a shortened notification?
- What is the potential impact on Chinese investment? How should Chinese companies or MNCs react?
*Pre-paid Event Access is eligible for this event.
LIVE STREAMING TICKETS REMAIN AVAILABLE: For AmCham China Beijing and Chapter members, a live streaming service can be provided for you to attend this event remotely. Keep up with the most recent updates and insights with experts in Beijing - buy a live streaming ticket and watch live! After paying online, an email with your unique password and a live streaming web link will be sent to you directly one day prior to the event day. Please contact Manyin Liu at 010-85190862 or firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions regarding the live streaming service.